Monday, September 27, 2010

An Explosion

I know I've mentioned this before, but Culinary in the Country is one of my favorite food blogs. I found a recipe for broccoli-chicken bowls and I decided to give them a whirl the other day. The dish calls for rice, and they recommend making the rice a certain way. You're supposed to boil it in a large pot of water for about a half an hour, drain it, put it back in your pot, then cover it with a towel. You then put the lid back on and let it sit for five or ten minutes.

So I make the rice.. I got through the boiling, draining, and covering part, and had the pot sitting on a back burner which was OFF! At this point I'm still chopping up vegetables for the stir fry when all of a sudden I hear a large POP! I see bits of something out of the corner of my eye.. and being the kind of person who likes my eyesight I immediately closed my eyes and turned away. When I opened up my eyes again I see pieces of glass everywhere! The glass lid that was on the rice had exploded. Yes, it exploded. I have never in my life heard of this kind of thing. The glass lid came with the pot so I'm assuming that it was meant to be used... and to top it off the burner wasn't even on! It was seriously strange.

This is a picture of what the lid looked like pre-explosion:


I gotta say, I didn't see this one coming at all!

5 comments:

Becky said...

Wow that is VERY strange Amariah.Ive never heard anything like it either.Thank God your ok.When you figure it all out please post it.Im trying to make some sense of it haha.

Natasha said...

Question: Was the glass lid cold before you set it on the pot?

If the lid was cold and you put it over the hot rice, the heat could have caused it to break.

If not, you should hire an exorcist.

Science brought to you by... ME! :)

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi ,
I am so happy that nothing happened to YOU! A cover for a pot can be replaced.
I think, I agree with Natasha. If the cover was cold the heat from the pot could have caused the cover to break. Next time put some aluminum foil over the pot of rice.

Betsy said...

I am glad you are ok, but I have questions - did you expect something to happen to the lid? Why do you have a picture of your lid pre-explosion? Is this a new trend? Should I photograph household objects in the off chance they randomly explode. :-)

Andrew Finnie said...

Hello well Betsy is very funny.
Yes we have had exploding glass lids - it is very annoying. I fact I hardly ever wear my glass eye around microwave ovens in case there is a similar accident (well I don't wear my 'good' glass eye at least)