Thursday, May 27, 2010

New Portrait

So I actually didn't think that this was going to work out as a portrait. Mostly it was just sort of an experiment to see if I could use a little bit of color to give a 'glowing' effect. I also wanted to make a portrait that shows more movement because a lot of my work (especially the portraits) tends to be more 'still.'



I got the idea for this one from a couple of photographs I took of my daughter last year. They were really good pictures, but I didn't think that they would really work as drawings. Sometimes photos should just stay photos. But, I've been working on this new technique of combining charcoal and color in a more sophisticated way, and because these photos had such nice color I thought it would be an interesting challenge to see how much color I could take away but still have that bright, glowing effect.

I really like the way that it has turned out thus far. Though I still have an issue with a few elements. Sometimes I think it's better to stop working on a drawing and put it away for a few weeks.

Love it? Hate it? Let me know what you think!

P.S. My husband has also decided to start his own blog. I was going to highly recommend that you follow him, but it's becoming painfully apparent that his only goal is to make me look like a douche.

12 comments:

Amariah's Husband said...

I think this is awesome but to listen to Am rip it apart you would think she used mud and crayons to draw it.

Natasha said...

That's really beautiful, it seems mysterious and smokey. I love it!

If I were to give a professional critique, the only complaint I would have would be the eyes. I think they could have a little more life to them, some reflected light, some wetness I guess. Other than that, it's really very wonderful. :D

AnKo said...

this one is simply awesome!

Izzy said...

are you kidding me??? it's fantastic!! you can really see your art growing and it's been such a pleasure to watch. you are brilliant, beautiful girl!

Andrew Finnie said...

well now your husband is here we will have to be careful! :)

Well I just love this work. The open mouth gives us that sense of life, taking it all in. And with the beautiful hair and the colour glow I think you have achieved your aims admirably!!!!.

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

I LOVE it, Amariah! Your artwork is always so magical. You were meant to express yourself this way. You are true talent! Have a lovely weekend! :)

Joanna Jenkins said...

Love, love, love it! Your daughter is stunning and so is your work.

Cheers,
jj

Becky said...

lol@your husbands comment.Its gorgeous Amariah as always you continue to amaze me and make my eyes pop out lol.You are blessed.


Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Quilt Works said...

Beautiful! Such lovely details! I love the wispy hairs on the other side of her face!

red-handed said...

I really admire someone who can pour some much hard work into a drawing ... I'd run from the level of precision and detail you have here. Very nice work.

CĂ©leste Gagnon said...

this illustration is beautiful. There is something so peaceful and soft about this. I love that her cheek has a rosy blush to it. Really well done.

Highton-Ridley said...

Really gorgeous and the hint of colour with your charcoal work is working really well. Keep on with the technique!