Monday, December 7, 2009

Conversation about a CD

Matt: Could you give me my S&G CD back?

Me: Oh… I don’t have it.

Matt: Yes you do. I saw you with it the other day.

Me: That one is mine.

Matt: Well where’s mine then?

Me: Actually, I lost yours several years ago. I put mine in its place so you wouldn’t know.

Matt: Then your CD should be mine because you lost the one that was mine.

Me: I guess you could look at it that way, but I’m not giving you my CD.

Matt: You have to give me yours if you lost mine.

Me: I don’t “have” to do anything!

Matt: You can’t just lose my CD and not replace it.

Me: Maybe this should be a lesson to you… maybe next time you’ll be more careful about who you lend your stuff to.

Matt: That’s ridiculous! I never even told you that you could borrow it in the first place!

Me: You never told me I couldn’t either, and not telling me not to do something is the same as telling I can do something.

Matt: … since when?

Me: I’ll tell you what. I’ll let you buy my CD from me at a reduced price and we’ll call it even.

Matt: I’m not going to buy your CD when you owe me one. How about you give me your CD and then you can buy another one for yourself.

Me: No, that doesn’t sound like a very good deal to me….besides, I don’t use CDs anymore. I have all my music on my ipod.

(My CD has since gone missing and I’m pretty sure that Matt stole it from me!)