Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Kitten Accident


We were given a new little kitten on Saturday morning. He's a very sweet little Persian and only ten weeks old. He looks kind of like Garfield, and we named him Samwise.
On Monday morning he met an accident named 'Junie.' Junie was leaning back in her chair while she was eating breakfast. We tell the kids all the time "don't lean back in your chair" but there she was leaning back in it again. The kitten was playing right behind where Junie was sitting, and her chair fell back and landed on him. He meowed a few times, then got really stiff and stopped moving. A few minutes later he started having seizures- I actually thought he was scratching himself but I found out later that that is what a cat does when it's having a seizure.
Matt called his mom right away and she came over to look at him. She thought he was dying because his breathing was so shallow and at one point he stopped breathing altogether. But we took him into the vet where he was given some steroid shots to reduce the swelling. The vet thinks that the chair hit him on the base of his skull. That was two days ago and he's still at the vet in 'intensive care.' Intensive care for a kitten is just an incubator that gives him extra oxygen. Yesterday, the doctor told Matt that he makes it until Friday he will probably live. From Monday to Tuesday there was a substantial improvement in his breathing and responsiveness. Though it will still be another week or two before he fully recovers. Even when he does recover his motor skills might be affected because of where he was hit. We're all hoping for a full and complete recovery.

8 comments:

suziart said...

Oh how horrible, poor little baby! I pray that he recovers and has a long and happy 9 lives! I had a cat that was hit by a car and she had to have her mouth wired and a pin through her jaw and palette, her head swelled so large and her eyes were all bloody. The vet did not know if she would make it, but she got fed and loved and actually recovered and her mental capacity and all was fine. She did develop epilepsy from he head injury and had to take meds, but she brought so much joy and love to my life.

becky said...

Oh how sad.The poor thing.Thats probably worse than if he was running outside and something happened.My cats are indoor cats.The oldest who is 12 never went outside, seriously.he doesnt want to and sits on a window seat in fron of the window.The younger one I have is 2 he would like to go out but I wont let him.I tried with a cat leash in the summer,he was ok with it but began to wonder further than the rod iron railing he was attached to so I just unhooked him.


I hope he gets better.But maybe then you will have to be really careful with him the rest of his life.Hes a cut cat is he himalayn?Like the name you picked ,lol.

jude cowell said...

Yes, i hope the little fellow gets all better!

Izzy said...

what a sad story. i will keep the little guy in my thoughts and hope for the best.

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Oh...I do hope he makes a full recovery. I am sure Junie feels horrible...my thoughts are there for both of them!

Pease Porridge said...

Oh my goodness! I feel for all of you! That is so sad. I hope everything works out for the best.
Jennifer

Quilt Works said...

This is the cutest thing I;ve ever seen! I hope all ends well... keep us posted!

aforestfrolic said...

Oh my...poor kitty! And poor kiddo...I'll bet she feels so bad :( Hope the kitty recovers...it's adorable!

Jamie :)