Thursday, July 23, 2009

Finally!

Josh learned how to ride his bike! We took him out last night for about an hour and today he was able to ride up and down our street. He's still a little shaky but in a couple of days he'll be fine. He was pretty nervous at first, but once I showed him a few tricks to keep from getting hurt he was really excited.

When I was a kid it took me a couple of years to learn how to ride a bike. Several of the people who tried to teach me would put me on the bike, I would start pedaling, and then they would just let go. That just isn't the best way to teach someone... at least not someone as uncoordinated as myself:o) It works out a lot better if you show the kid how to brake and catch themselves first so that they won't be afraid to fall. I've taught a lot of kids how to ride a bike, and I've found that it's a real confidence booster if they know how to catch themselves!

Here are some pictures that I took of Josh this evening -yes that is a girl's bike, but we'll be getting him a new one very soon :o)





3 comments:

Fantastic Figments said...

Too cute! Congrats Josh.. He is ahead of me, I am the worst bike rider ever!

Have a fun weekend,

Smooches
Steph

Surabhi said...

ahh pretty much the same story with me, I still cant ride a bike properly :P

Marisa said...

That's good advice. Another thing we found helpful when teaching our kids was to pack up their bikes and take them to a large empty parking lot on a Sunday and then just let them go. It's amazing how quickly they catch on when the have a wide open space instead of the confines of a driveway.